Should Congress prohibit federal funds from commemorating a president who has been impeached twice?
• Twisted priorities. Americans are suffering while Congress wastes time on petty partisan bills like this." Source: State Rep. Mike Loychik (Republican, Ohio House of Representatives, District 63)
• "The events of January 6th, the notion that anyone running for office, much less the current President of the United States, believes that they have the right to interrupt or nullify the most basic democratic principles of our electoral system, that they have the right to deny or interfere with a peaceful transition of power, that they have the right to incite insurrection to maintain elective office is so antithetical and so historically unfounded in our nation that we cannot just ‘move on’ now that President Trump is out of office and allow his months of attempting to deny the will of the American people to become precedent or acceptable. Nor can we permit public resources to be used to commemorate or glorify in any positive manner such action or individuals." Source: Rep. Danny K Davis (Democrat, Illinois, District 7)
This bill prohibits the use of federal funds to commemorate a president twice impeached by the House of Representatives and restricts the benefits afforded such president after leaving office. The bill would prohibit federal funds from being used for any symbol, monument, structure, building, or public land commemorating a former president twice impeached. It would also restrict the benefits of former presidents who have been impeached twice with regard to pension, staff, travel, and burial in Arlington National Cemetery. Sponsor: Rep. Linda T. Sanchez (Democrat, California, District 38)
- Sánchez: ‘There is no Glory for Hate - not a Building, Statue, or even a Park Bench” (Press Release)
- ‘No Glory for Hate’: Lawmaker Puts Forward Bill Blocking Trump Name from so much as a ‘Park Bench’ (Independent)
- Presidents ‘Twice Impeached’ can’t be Buried at Arlington or Receive Federal Funding, House Bill Proposes (ABC4)
- House Democrats Introduce Bill to Bar ‘Twice Impeached’ Former Presidents from Burial at Arlington National Cemetery (Washington