Is comprehensive reform to the practices, products, and privileges of the gun industry necessary?
• "If the objective is to stop violent crime, we should focus on stopping the violent criminals and rapists and murderers. Texans want to stop the criminals. Texans do not want Washington politicians disarming law-abiding citizens." Source: Senator Ted Cruz (Republican, Texas)
• "This big, bold proposal--which combines and builds upon a number of common-sense measures introduced by my colleagues in Congress--would treat the epidemic of gun violence in the United States like the public health crisis that it is, help protect our children, and make our communities safer. With approximately 100 Americans killed every day from gun violence, it's long past time for Congress to stand up to the gun lobby and confront this deadly crisis head-on." Source: Senator Elizabeth Warren (Democrat, Massachusetts)
• "Too many lives are tragically lost at the hand of a gun on our streets, to suicide, and in mass shootings. The American people are demanding Congress act to end the bloodshed and senseless death. No one bill is going to solve the problem; it's going to take a comprehensive, holistic approach.” Source: Senator Bob Menendez (Democrat, New Jersey)
Awaiting Vote .
S. 3254 (1) requires anyone purchasing or in possession of a firearm to have a license, (2) raises the minimum age to purchase guns and ammunition from 18 to 21, (3) strengthens background check requirements and requires law enforcement agencies to be notified if an applicant fails his or her background check; (4) gives legal recourse for people looking to remove firearms from the possession of a dangerous person in their household; (5) limits the sale and possession of semiautomatic weapons and large-capacity magazines; and (6) restricts the sale of guns without serial numbers. Sponsor: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Democrat, Massachusetts)
- Senator Warren and Representative Johnson Unveil Comprehensive Legislation to Help End Epidemic of Gun Violence in America
- Elizabeth Warren introduces sweeping gun safety bill with licensing, universal background checks, and an assault-weapons ban
- US Sen. Warren, Rep. Johnson Unveil Legislation to Target Gun Violence (Security Magazine)
- Warren’s Big Gun Bill Would Close Dealer Security Shortfalls Exposed by The Trace/The New Yorker (The Trace)